Fish On! McCloud River dry fly fishing 8/6/11

Kim fished almost all dry flies, and might I add she fished them well.  This girl casts a beautiful loop.  She marched through some of the toughest terrain the McCloud has to offer and earned herself a good number of fish. That is not easy!

Kim took first place in a smiling contest.  I would have won but I got disqualified early in the day for laughing too loud.

Last cast of the day.  Most of the fish I have seen in the last couple days have been average size or smaller.  Numbers are really high because the small fish are competing for food while they can.  In the last minutes of light the big fish take control of the feeding lanes and will eat a dry fly.  A great sign of very healthy river system.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Fish On! McCloud River dry fly fishing 8/6/11”

1. Kimberly Lewellen August 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Thanks for the excellent adventure and saving me from being swept down river! I should mention to people that Chuck may not let you go home unless you catch a one or several big fish. :-)

2. chucksgonfishn August 9, 2011 at 3:15 am #

Kim you are so welcome! I look forward to fishing with you again soon, right up to the last cast.

3. tory August 19, 2011 at 2:23 am #

yes i can see you really covered some ground. that has to be at least 40 to 50 yards below the bridge at the Ash Camp parking lot :)

4. chucksgonfishn August 20, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

Silly Tory, No matter how far you walk you always start at the parking lot. You can always stay at the car,honking the horn.

5. Kimberly Lewellen August 23, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

Dearest Tory, I don’t know you at all; however, I welcome the chance for us to drop in to some remote place by plane, and bushwack through some of the toughest terrain this planet has to offer. Keep in mind, I do not subscribe to the tenant, “no man left behind.”

6. Kimberly Lewellen August 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

I mean, “tenet”. OOPS. :)